My Birthday - Just an (Extra)ordinary day!

It was just another day, another ordinary day. It was Saturday, September 18, 1999, and I had to work. Jen would drop me off at the bus stop, and I would hop the red and white rocket - OC Transpo - to work. She would then go grocery shopping with Cameron. I know this all sounds way too exciting to continue reading; like I said, just an ordinary day.

I had come to hate Saturday's. The past few weeks however, Saturdays were getting a little better. We had begun to go to a Saturday evening church service downtown, and strangely enough, I enjoyed it. The people seemed nice, the worship music was great, the preacher was - well he was Eric! You see, I was a salesman, and a good one at that if I do say so myself - and I do! Anyway, Eric was a good speaker, but he always reminded of a used car guy. If you know Eric, I trust you can laugh at that. If you don't know Eric; you should still laugh. Seriously, I loved Eric! My problem was that I was dead. I thought I was living but in reality I was not.

Over the course of a few Saturday nights at City Church, I had heard the gospel many times. I believed it to be true, just not for me. I was beyond that forgiveness; I would have to do something else to make up for my life. Plus week after week I would see the same people running down the aisle getting "saved" all over again? Made no sense to me. "What was the point of getting saved if God couldn't "close the deal", the salesman in me would ask. If they could "lose" it, I would "lose" it because I didn't want it. Check that - I did want it, but I didn't think I needed it!

But, I did...

So, another day of work came to end and we were off to church (well first we made a pit stop at Timmies - some things never change). It was the strangest feeling when we arrived, for the first time, I felt like I didn't belong there. The evening went on and now, it was time for Eric. What Eric was going to talk about that night changed he later told me. He got up to read scripture. He intended to read Isaiah 42:1-9 ; he got as far as "Behold my servant..."

For the next hour at least, all eric talked about was Jesus - His holiness, His righteousness, His glory, His infinite greatness, His wrath. He wanted us to "Behold" who God was and for the first time I did just that. Honestly, I was terrified. I didn't want Jesus; I needed Him! I knew my sin was great and I was in trouble if I had to stand before that God, and I did. So, I begged Him for mercy and He gave me grace.

That was ten years ago today! Let me be perfectly clear - many of those years were very difficult, but I can say with full assurance that I love the Lord. And, more importantly, He loves me.

"For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not abide by all things written in the book of the Law, and do them." Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for "The righteous shall live by faith." But the law is not of faith, rather "The one who does them shall live by them." Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us - for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree" - so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith." Galatians 3:10-14


"There are two things I know for sure. I am a great sinner, but Christ is a great Saviour."

Thank you Lord calling me your child.

Love in the Truth.

0 comments: