Online Disagreements



When fallen humans interact, inevitably there will be conflict.  This possibility is raised exponentially when that interaction takes place online.  Disagreements can get nasty in a hurry.  Stephen Altrogge offers some helpful advice on “how to disagree online without being a total jerk.”  I know it’s advice I need to heed...
Remember That Your Opponent Is Created In the Image of God
When we’re sitting snugly behind our computers, it can be easy to forget that the person on the other end of the conversation is a real person. A real person who is created in the image of God and should be respected as a fellow image bearer. A real person who has real feelings and strengths and weaknesses. A real person whom God really, really cares about. The words that I type will have a real effect on that person, either good or bad. My words have the potential to build them up or tear them down. To corrupt them or bless them. To strengthen them or be a source of temptation to them. God will hold me accountable for the ways in which my words affect others.
Remember That Your Opponent Is Your Fellow Brother Or Sister
If my opponent is a Christian, they are also my brother or sister in Christ. They have been bought with the precious blood of Christ and they belong to him. Jesus values. The Father treasures them. The Spirit dwells in them. If I insult them, I am also insulting Christ. If I speak poorly of them, I am speaking poorly of Christ. There is no place for maliciousness or backbiting or insulting in the house of Christ, and that house extends to the digital world.
Don’t Say Anything You Wouldn’t Be Comfortable Saying To Their Face
Being behind a computer screen gives me a weird, and often times sinful, boost of confidence. Suddenly I feel like I know everything, and that every person who disagrees with me is a complete and total moron. I also may be tempted to say things that I would never say to a person’s face. But when I get behind a computer, the Golden Rule still applies. I’m still called to treat every person as I would want to be treated. I don’t want to say anything that I wouldn’t be comfortable saying in person.
Ask Forgiveness Quickly
If I sin against a person through online speech, I need to ask their forgiveness quickly. Just because it happened online and I don’t know them that well doesn’t mean that I’m not accountable for it. The house of Christ should be a place ruled by grace and mercy. I want to seek out grace and mercy from those whom I sin against.
Spoken words matter and digital words matter. I want the words that I type to be pleasing to the Lord, don’t you?
Good words...do you need to hear them?


3 comments:

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I've been fortunate not to get embroiled in these kinds of conflicts online.

Petra said...

Great post!

Adelynne Grace said...

Thank you! Inspiring.