Loving Your Wife in the Little Things

This is just another reason why I love reading Practical Shepherding.  Here Brian reminds us of a surprising way to love our wives.  If you've been a husband for a nano-second or more, you know this is true! Brian writes...

“What is something practical I can do to make you feel loved and appreciated by me?”  Husbands, are you ready for the first thing out of her mouth?
“Be mindful of the little things you do day to day so that they do not undo what I have spent all day working on.” 
Huh??  That’s right guys.  No..bring me flowers.  No…leave surprising romantic cards.  No…take me out on a date regularly.  The answer above was the surprising first thing out of her mouth.  I inquired more.  She explained how she spends so much time cleaning and picking up after the kids throughout the day only for them to continue to destroy it. 
So, she helped me understand the discouragement she feels if I come home for dinner and the first thing I do is carelessly sit all my stuff on the table she had already cleaned 5 times that day.  She helped me realize when I do those things it communicates to her I have not been mindful at all of what she has done to try and keep our house a warm, picked up, restful place.  She was right.  The point was rammed home when she said, “It would be like me sitting down at the end of the day and erasing a page of your sermon, because what I saw you were working on did not look important.  Ouch.  She had made her point.




0 comments: